Saturday, January 4, 2014

On reading

I just finished reading a couple of books, one I got from a White Elephant Book Exchange (Good Enough to Eat) and the other I picked up on a whim at B&N last night (How I Came to Sparkle Again).  I love reading, but the problem is that when I'm done with a book, I feel a little empty.  You're transported to this imaginary place for however long it takes you to finish the book and then when you're done- what now?  It especially sucks if the book isn't part of a series!  Then you just have a book about these characters and you're left to imagine what they're up to now.  I'm weird because when I read a book, I want to know what the ending is right away.  I love spoilers!  I won't finish a book if I find out that what I want to happen doesn't happen.  I may lose out on some good stories, but really, I just like fairytale endings.  This is why I love "chick lit" and rom-coms.  I want to see the girl end up with the good person.  I want people to find hope after they've gone through shitty things in their lives.  I just want happiness, even if it's in a fake place!  This is why I loved the Twilight series- it had a happy ending where everyone I want to win, wins.  And hardly anyone that's of significance died.  I hate death.  Like in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- before I read the book, I made Lauren tell me all the characters that died.  Then I read the book because you can't just read some of the HP series..you have to read it ALL!  It sucked that the characters died, but at least I was mentally prepared for it!  Anyway, I really love reading.  I love spoilers.  I love happy endings.

Also of note, both books I read both took place in cold cities, where there were lots of snow.  It made me want to live where there is lots of snow, but then I am sitting in a house that's at 61 degrees right now and I'm cold...so maybe I don't?

No comments:

Post a Comment