Saturday, July 14, 2012

Summer 2012 so far

It's true what they say:  Portland summer doesn't begin until July 5th.  It was gloomy and rainy up until the 4th of July, and now it's all sunny and a little humid. D and I have been doing summery things- going to the beach (which is about an hour and a half away), picking berries at Sauvie Island, taking late night walks with the dog.  It doesn't get dark until around 9:45pm here...  I love it!  Dennis is in Whistler, on a mountain biking trip with a bunch of his mountain biking buddies.  The pups miss him.  When they see a guy riding a bike, they get all excited and start wagging their tails and running to the front door!  It's kind of sad.

I have been busy volunteering at the hospital, and thankfully that is going a lot better these days.  This past Thursday, a couple of nurses actually talked to me and asked me fore help!  This is a big deal because I've been there for 2 and a half months, and they would just pass by me and I would feel like a nuisance to them.  That's not a good feeling, btw.

Anyway, here are some pictures of our PDX adventures...

We went to the waterfront to watch the fireworks on the fourth.  Portland really knows how to do it right!

We saw The Gaslight Anthem play at the Hawthorne Theater on July 7.  It was a great show!  They are such a good band to see live.


 Lilly was being a brat to Jen and Bryan's dogs at the beach, so I made her sit outside the tent for a time out!  The three of them LOVE the beach.  Kiwi literally has an extra pep in her step when she's running in the sand.  Sky rubs his face in the sand like it's a moisturizer.  Lilly runs freely, and isn't as apprehensive as she usually is when she is walking around new places.

Picking strawberries at Sauvie Island Farms.  We were picking Hood strawberries here...Hood strawberries are the best strawberries I've ever had in my life!  They taste like strawberries that have been coated in sugar for days.  They are so sweet, and tart.  I could go on forever about how yummy they are!  We also picked raspberries, and they were pretty good too.  Not as good as the strawberries though :o)
So, that is our start of summer adventures...hopefully we have a lot more.  I do have a month and a half til fall quarter starts!

2 comments:

  1. Why is Dennis wearing gloves while strawberry picking? Afraid of pesticides or stickiness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stickiness! He doesn't like the taste or smell of berries...but for some reason, he didn't mind picking them

    ReplyDelete